Vizianagaram according to historians was a part of Kalinga Kingdom which was spread between two great rivers – Mahanadi and Godavari. There is one opinion about Vizianagaram that in the times of Ramayana, Rama believed to be resided at Ramateertham during his exile. There is a sentence in great epic Mahabharata, mentioning about Kalinga Kingdom stating ‘Anga, Vanga and Kalinga Kingdom’ was ruled by a king named Deerghatamasa. At Ramatirtham historians observed the abode of both Hinayana and Mahayana, Schools of Buddhism. Commemorative types of inscriptions, seals, remains of chayas, sthupas and monastic cells have been discovered at the site. Vijayanagaram was ruled by Ganga. Gajapati and Odde dynasties before the arrival of Sultan dynasty to India.
Raghunadha Raju founder of Pushapati dynasty had been awarded Bhogapuram tributary as an ‘Izara’ by the Foujdar of Golkonda Sultan Kuli Kutub Shaw. In 1656 he moved from Pusapadu in Circar distircts along with his near and dear to Bhogapuram and built Vizianagaram Empire. Famous Fort at Vizianagaram was built in 1732. They ruled Vizianagaram under French rule till 1758 when the British defeated French armies at Chandurti. PVG Raju was the last ruler of the dynasty in British India. After the abolishment of Zamindaries in 1948 Vizianagaram became part of Visakhapatnam district. Vizianagaram formed as a separate district in May 1979 by Government of Andhra Pradesh